Your questions answered

Frequently Asked Questions

Whether you are thinking about booking with us, or you're all booked up and waiting to go, view & read all our FAQ's here.

And don't forget, if you have any further questions feel free to contact us.

Top 10 Trek America FAQs




Why should I travel with TrekAmerica?

TrekAmerica is the leading operator for group tours for 18-38s in North America, and we have been running tours since 1972. We offer a great value, easy and dependable and fun way to explore North America and offer the widest choice of tours and range of departure dates available.


What's included in the price of the Trek?

> All accommodation during your tour
> All transport in a private air-conditioned vehicles in North America
> All transport on Central American tours
> The services of a professionally-trained tour leader
> All necessary camping equipment including tents on our camping tours
> Admission to all National Parks and monuments as listed in the itinerary
> Included activities unique to each Trek


Are there any age restrictions?

Our TrekAmerica tours are designed specifically for passengers aged between 18 to 38. Consequently, they tend to focus on activities and nightlife that appeal to that age range. The minimum age on our special Christmas and New Year trips and our Sips of Old Hollywood Urban Adventure is 21. The legal drinking age is 21 in the USA, 18 in Central America, and either 18 or 19 in Canada, depending on the province. Please note that TrekAmerica does not condone underage drinking on our tours.


I'm not a big drinker - is there any 'beer pressure'?

Not at all! A great mix of young people with a passion for travel and sense of fun is enough. People might choose to go for a drink at a local bar or have a beer around the campfire but there are no huge organised 'bar crawls' on a TrekAmerica trip. Legal drinking age in the USA is 21, and 18 or 19 in Canada, depending on the Province.


Is it cheaper to travel independently?

The costs of independent travel can really start to add up. Once you consider everything such as accommodation, food, national park entrance fees, excursions, road tolls, bus passes and local taxis or car hire and fuel, you'll soon see that travelling Trek style is great value for money. Plus if you do it alone you don't get the experience of a local tour guide who knows those great little tricky-to-find 'secret spots', or the hassle free experience where everything is planned and organised for you. Plus we can negotiate great group rates on optional activities too.


I am travelling on my own. Will I be the only one?

No, far from it. The majority of the people travelling with us join their trips as solo travellers. Our trips are a great way to travel safely and meet other like-minded, adventurous people from all over the world and we do not charge single supplements. Why not join our Facebook page, read previous trekker reviews or chat to others in our trip hubs to hear from other solo travellers.


How many people will be on my tour?

Our Original tours are based on travelling in small groups of up to 13 like-minded individuals from around the world, providing the security of group travel while maintaining the flexibility of independent discovery.

Our Plus tours have an average group size of 30 (maximum 50) that you’ll stick with for the entire trip, giving you plenty of options when you choose who to hang out with! Our BOLT tours have a maximum group size of 16 (Central America) or 18 (South America), so you can easily blend in with the locals. Our Overland tours in South America have an average group size of 25 people (maximum 34) to get to know en route.


Do couples travel with Trek?

Yes, every trip is made of a mixture of people travelling alone, as pairs or groups of friends or couples. If you travel as a couple you will be able to share a tent, if your tour includes cabin, hostel, hotel and other budget lodging accommodation then we will try to accommodate we will try to accommodate couples, however twin rooms cannot be guaranteed.


How do we get around?

In North America you'll travel in a private vehicle. This offers great flexibility and convenience plus guarantees to get you further off the beaten path than you ever could using the North American public transport system. Camping and budget lodging tours use a private van driven by your tour leader. Meanwhile Plus tours use private coaches, with the benefit of both a driver and a tour leader. Both types of transport are equipped with Wi-Fi (mainland USA only - excludes Alaska and Hawaii) so you can keep in touch from the road.

In Central and South America. our BOLT tours use public transport including local buses, flights and private vehicles. These varied modes of transport mean you get around affordably and ensure you get to experience local life.

For Overland tours in South America, you’ll travel in a powerful purpose built expedition vehicle specially designed and engineered to make your journey over rugged landscapes as comfortable as possible. There’s large panoramic windows and plenty of luggage space in external compartments plus large overhead racks to store your day packs. You’ll have a portable kitchen with you making your group virtually selfsufficient as you travel off the beaten path.


Are flights included in the price?

No, however if you are in the United Kingdom we can provide a quote and book your flights for you. For a flight inclusive quote please call 0333 999 7951 or request here. TrekAmerica is a registered ATOL member authorised to sell flights as part of a package.

If your tour starts early in the morning, we recommend you book your flight to arrive at least the day before your trip starts (does not apply for Plus, BOLT or Overland tours). Most tours will finish at 17:00 hrs, so please make sure your flight does not depart before 21:00 hrs (for BOLT or Overland tours, you are free to fly at any time on the last day of your tour). See the Trek Tips for each tour for more details. To make your arrival as smooth as possible, for specific destinations we recommend the following airports: Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR) for New York (for Plus tours, any New York airport is suitable), Kona International Airport (KOA) for Hawaii, La Aurora International Airport (GUA) in Guatemala City for Antigua, and Cancun International Airport (CUN) for Playa Del Carmen.


How fit should I be?

Anyone in reasonably good health can join our trips. Many activities on tour are optional, so you can choose them according to your fitness level. Most National Parks offer a variety of hiking trails that suit all levels of adventure and fitness. Many other activities do not require previous experience and are not fitness related.


What if I have limited mobility?

If you have concerns about the suitability of a tour, our expert sales consultants will be able to talk you through the best options for your individual needs.


When does a trip become guaranteed?

TrekAmerica run more tour departures across North America that any other tour operator so we offer you the widest choice of tours and departure dates available. Throughout the year, we will guarantee the majority of departure dates - this means that a tour will definitely operate on the day it is scheduled and will not be cancelled - we guarantee these tours as soon as minimum numbers for that date are reached or these are chosen based on historical popularity of those dates.


What is the minimum number of travellers on a trek?

The average group size is 10 on camping and budget lodging Tours (maximum 13), 30 on Plus tours (maximum 50) and 12 on BOLT tours (maximum 16). The minimum number of travellers can be much lower, however, this is uncommon. The type of vehicle may vary depending on the group size.





How do I book my Trek?

TrekAmerica tours can be booked from anywhere in the world. Bookings can be made online or by contacting our worldwide sales office by phone, email or via our social channels. We can hold you a no-obligation provisional seat (option) for up to 3 days while you decide. You can secure your place on a trek with a deposit and final payment is due 8 weeks before departure (12 weeks for tours 42 days or longer). The final payment due date will be printed on your invoice. Bookings made within 8 weeks of departure are subject to full payment at the time of booking. Please phone or email us if you need any help or have any questions.


When should I book my Trek?

Book early! Many tours fill quickly so you should contact us as soon as possible. We would be happy to help you choose the Trek that is right for you. All of our sales team have first-hand knowledge and information about our tours. Call us anytime to check availability or hold a seat on option for up to three days with no obligation.


Do I need to pay everything upfront?

No, if you’re booking more than eight weeks ahead, you can usually secure your trip with a deposit and pay the balance eight weeks before you travel. For longer tours (42 days or more), your final balance is due 12 weeks before you travel.

For USA and Canada tours, plus Original tours in Central America, our standard deposit is only £100 / euro120 / US$150 / AU$180 / NZ$190 or 10% of the trip cost (whichever is greater). If the tour includes a flight as part of the itinerary, the deposit is £400 / euro480 / US$570 / AU$720 / NZ$760.

For Central America BOLT tours, our standard deposit is only £150 / euro180 / US$220 / AU$270 / NZ$290

For South America tours under 28 days , our standard deposit is only £200 / euro240 / US$290 / AU$360 / NZ$380. For tours over 28 days the deposit is £400 / euro480 / US$570 / AU$720 / NZ$760.


Do you charge booking or credit card fees?

No, we don’t like credit card charges and we’re pretty sure you don’t either! For that reason, we won’t pass any fees on to you if you choose to pay by credit card. That’s more cash for you to splash on souvenirs!


When do the trips begin and end?

Most Treks depart from our gateway hotels at 7:30am on the day of departure and generally end between 5:00pm and 6:00pm on the final day of the tour. Exact start times will be shown on the trek tips. For your convenience, we suggest you book the pre night hotel in our gateway hotel. You can also arrange the final night in our gateway hotel where the tour will finish. If you must leave that evening, we recommend that you book a flight departing no earlier than 9:00pm to allow enough time to transfer to the airport.


Do I need to book a hotel room the night before and after my Trek?

Most of our trips leave early on the first morning (except Plus and BOLT tours where you are free to arrive at any time on day one), and arrive in their final destination in the late afternoon (except BOLT tours where you are free to depart at any time on the last day). For this reason, we recommend extending your trip with at least one extra hotel night either side of your tour.


How and when do I receive my confirmation and documents?

If you book directly with us we will email you a confirmation, invoice and Trek Tips within 24 hours of receiving your booking. Final documents are resent around 6 weeks before departure. If you book with a travel agent you should receive all documents and information directly from your agent.





How much luggage can I bring?

One suitcase or rucksack with a maximum weight of 23 KG and one carry on bag for the vehicle (plus your sleeping bag on our camping trips). Be sure to check the weight allowance of your luggage with your airline as well.


Which is best to take, a rucksack, soft holdall or suitcase?

For camping trips a soft holdall or rucksack is generally better. There may be a few occasions where you will need to carry your bag short distances and a soft bag would be beneficial. When storing luggage in your tent it also works out better having a soft bag. Suitcases will however suffice. For budget lodging and hotel trips any type of bag would work and certainly not worth going to buy a new bag specially.


Where can I charge things during my trip?

On camping tours it is often difficult to find a safe and secure wall outlet to recharge mobile phones, camera batteries and other electrical devices but every van has at least 2 outlets for your use, so we recommend bringing a car charger. Although remember you will have to take it in turns to use these so it's always worth bringing a spare camera battery!

For nights spent in hotels your room will have an electrical outlet (don't forget your travel plug adaptor), as well as you having the van charging points.


Will my mobile phone work whilst I am away?

You'll need to check with your network provider as to whether your mobile phone will work in America, Canada or the Central American countries you are visiting. TrekAmerica has partnered with e-kit to provide some of the cheapest ways to keep in touch with family and friends while on tour. E-kit can provide international calling cards, prepaid SIMs or international mobile handsets. Read more about eKit here.


Do I need a passport & visa?

It’s your responsibility to ensure you have a valid passport and any necessary visas for your tour. For Central and South America, you’ll need a passport with at least six months validity following the end of your trip. The visa requirements for your trip may vary depending on where you’re going and your nationality. It’s important that you check and apply for each of the visas you need whilst in your home country and you should consult the relevant embassy if you need more information. Please bear in mind that some tours may spend time in more than one country.

For the latest travel advice from the Foreign & Commonwealth Office including security and local laws, plus passport and visa information, click here

Rules for entry into the USA

Holders of UK, Australia, New Zealand and most EU country passports are eligible to travel to the USA under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP). The VWP is open to people for travel in the USA for up to a 90 day stay.

All eligible travellers who wish to travel under the VWP must apply for an electronic travel authorisation from the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) at least 72 hours before arrival. You can apply for an ESTA at: You will require your passport details and your address in the USA (you can use the starting point hotel address). There is a US$14 fee for an ESTA. Your ESTA will be valid for a period of two years, or until your passport expires.

All travellers wishing to enter the USA under the VWP need to hold a passport with an integrated chip (an ePassport). VWP rules exclude most people who have travelled to Iran, Iraq, Sudan or Syria since 1 March 2011, and those who have dual nationality of these countries. This means that existing ESTAs could be revoked, and you will instead need to apply for a visa from the nearest US Embassy or Consulate.

Residents from countries who cannot travel under the VWP must consult their relevant embassy. For more information about who is eligible to travel under the VWP , and the eligibility requirements visit Anyone that has not applied for and received travel authorisation via ESTA prior to travel ma y be denied boarding, experience delayed processing or be denied admission at the US port of entry. However, neither possession of a visa nor meeting the basic requirements for travelling visafree on the VWP, guarantees admission to the USA. As with most countries, the final determination of admissibility is made by immigration officials at the port of entry. We keep the above visa information up to date as much as possible, but it is important that you check this for yourself.

Transiting the USA

If you’re planning to transit in the USA or to stopover in the USA on the way to your destination, you’ll still need to apply for an ESTA. You must apply for your ESTA at least 72 hours before travelling to the USA. See above.

Rules for entry into Canada

Most visitors to Canada require an entry visa prior to travel, known as an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). Citizens from countries other than the USA who do not require a visa to enter Canada are required to obtain an eTA before entering the country. Eligible travellers will need to go online to apply for their eTA. To apply for your eTA you will need your passport, credit or debit card, an email address and your address in Canada (you can use the starting point hotel address). At the time of publication there is a CA$7 fee to process your eTA. Your eTA will be valid for a period of five years, or until your passport expires. Residents from countries who cannot travel under the eTA must consult their relevant embassy. Please visit to apply. Residents from countries who cannot travel under the eTA must consult their relevant embassy. If you have not applied for and received authorisation via an eTA prior to travel you may be denied boarding, experience a delayed processing or be denied admission at the Canadian point of entry. However, neither possession of a visa nor meeting the basic requirements for travelling visa-free on the eTA, guarantees admission to Canada. As with most countries, the final determination of admissibility is made by immigration officials at the port of entry. Please note: This ONLY applies to travellers arriving by air. So if you are entering Canada by land or sea you do not need an eTA.

You do not need to obtain an eTA if you are transiting though Canada with the sole purpose of refuelling en route to the US and are in possession of a valid ESTA or US visa. In addition, if you are transiting through Canada as a passenger on a flight to another country and are in possession of a valid visa for your final destination you do not need an eTA. Please note, this information is correct at the time of printing. Please check the latest requirements before travelling.


Do I need travel insurance?

Yes. Insurance is compulsory on all TrekAmerica tours. We recommend you purchase our policy as soon as your booking has been confirmed which has been specially created to cover all activities on our tours. Our policy covers all residents within the EU. If you decide to arrange your own travel insurance please ensure your policy covers all optional activities you may wish to participate in as well as air rescue and repatriation. Also we strongly recommend cancellation and baggage coverage. Read more about our Travel Insurance here.


What do I need to pack?

You know what the Scouts say... BE PREPARED! North America is huge, and you’re likely to encounter lots of different climates during your trip. Check the weather averages for the time of year you’re travelling and pack accordingly. Here are some of the things that should be in your case as well as your general clothes:

 - Waterproof jacket
 - Warm sweater / fleece
 - Casual clothes and a few ‘evening out’ options
 - Sunscreen / insect repellent (20% DEET)
 - Sensible footwear for walking, ideally boots with ankle support, but trainers with good grip are OK
 - Comfortable day shoes, sandals or flip-flops
 - Sun hat / sunglasses
 - Water bottle
 - Camera & charger
 - Travel power adaptor / USB car charger and cord
 - Flashlight / Head torch
 - Towel
 - Toiletries / personal medicine
 - Warm hat / gloves
 - Swim wear


Do I need a sleeping bag? What kind of sleeping bag do I need?

You need to bring your own sleeping bag for all our camping based trips in USA, Canada and South America. We recommend a ‘three season’ bag during the summer months and a ‘four season’ bag the rest of the year, as some nights can be cool to cold, especially in mountainous and desert areas. We supply a foam pad to sleep on, but if you prefer added comfort, you are encouraged to bring your own self-inflating sleeping pad and pillow.


Will I be able to use my hair straighteners and hairdryer?

You can bring hairdryers and hair straighteners with you, but make sure you bring plug adaptors and check the voltage as they can vary meaning your appliances won't work exactly the same as they do at home. Most people find that after a few days in tour you won't use these as much as you think you will, but they may come in handy for a night out!


Do I really need walking boots or will trainers be ok?

Comfortable shoes will make all walking more enjoyable, so we do recommend walking shoes or boots that will provide a more sturdy grip as well as good ankle support. A pair trainers will be ok, but be prepared for these to get dirty and make sure they do offer some grip. A nice, solid and comfortable pair of trainers (sneakers) is best, not your favourite pair of pumps.


How much money do I need to bring on tour?

For camping nights we recommend you budget at least an average of US$25/CAN$30 per day for meals and general spending. This includes US$10/CAN$15 per day for your food kitty (US$15 per day in Hawaii and Alaska) which covers all of your meals while camping plus at least US$15/CAN$15 per day for snacks, drinks, tips and general spending.

For budget lodging and hotel nights we recommend you budget an average of US$50 per day to cover meals (where not included), snacks, drinks, tips and general spending. Please note that this is a recommendation only as ultimately how much you want to spend is dependent on your personal choice. Those travelling on a Plus tour can budget a bit less as most breakfasts, plus some dinners and extra activities are included in the tour price.

In addition to this you should also budget for the optional activities that you would like to participate in. For guideline prices, the most popular optional activities are listed on the individual tour pages on the site.

It is customary to tip waiters, bar staff, taxi drivers, local guides and any person who provides a service for you. Your tour leader will work long and hard for you during your tour and we recommend a discretionary tip of US$5-7 per passenger per day if the leader's performance meets or exceeds your expectations.


How should I take my spending money?

Cach machines (ATMs) are usually readily available throughout the Americas (with the exception of Alaska and parts of Central and South America where cash facilities may be more remote). Major credit cards are widely accepted, however credit cards are not accepted for the food kitty (camping tours in the USA / Canada), local payment (South America tours) and many optional activities.

TrekAmerica recommends the FairFX prepay currency card, a popular way to carry your spending money while on tour. Funds can be uploaded onto your card at any time from anywhere in the world, and you can check your balance via the free app, internet or phone. You use the card like a credit card to withdraw cash from ATMs or to pay in shops and restaurants. FairFX offers better exchange rates than traditional high street foreign exchange providers and there are no fees when you use it in shops and restaurants. See for more details.


Do I need to tip?

Although it may not be customary in your country, it’s normal and expected in USA and Canada to tip local guides, waiters, bar staff, taxi drivers and anyone who provides a service for you. Service workers are paid a low wage and depend on their tips for their livelihood. See the Trek Tips for your tour for more information. Your tour leader (and driver on Overland tours) will work long and hard for you during your tour and we recommend a discretionary tip of $5-7 per day in USA and Canada, and $2-4 per day in Central and South America, if your leader’s performance meets or exceeds your expectations.


Do I need to pre-book optional activities?

On our North & Central America tours, you don't need to pre-book any of our optional activities. You tour leader will run through all the options with you during your trip and you can decide what you'd like to do and pay as you go along for these.

On selected South America tours, there are a number of optional extensions available in Cusco. If you are interested in these you will need to book these at the same time as you book your trip. See the tour pages for more details.


Where can I learn about staying safe on tour?

We recommend you visit the ABTA website which offers helpful tips and advice for young people travelling abroad

TrekAmerica are also members of the Safer Tourism Foundation. To help you prepare for your tour we encourage you to read up on information surrounding active or adventure holidays




What is the joining point of the tour?

Our departure hotels are conveniently located and serve as your trek's start and end points, Most of our tours start in the lobby of the departure hotel at 7.30am. If you want to stay at these hotels for the night before and after your trip we can book this for you. Once you have booked we will email your Trek Tips detailing the joining point and time of your trip with hotel details and transfer advice.


Do you organise transfers to the tour joining point?

No we don't arrange transfers from the airport to our gateway hotels. Usually there are quick, easy and more cost effective transfer options available directly from the airport to the gateway hotels. See the hotel section on the individual tor pages for transfer information.


What type of accommodation to used on BLT's - Budget lodging tours

We use a combination of hostels, hotels, motels and cabins on our budget lodging based tours. Accommodation will be arranged on a multi share or twin share basis, usually single sex. Where possible we’ll keep the group together but this cannot be guaranteed. We’ll also try to accommodate couples, however double rooms cannot be guaranteed. It may be possible to arrange this locally for an additional cost. There is no food kitty collected on our budget lodging based tours and meals will need to be paid for locally. You may wish to purchase this at a local retail store such as REI or Walmart. Please allow time to do this before the start of your trip.


What type of accommodation to used on BOLT tours

On BOLT tours we primarily use hotels on a twin share basis and occasionally on a multi share basis. Transport ranges between public and private transport, overnight sleeper coaches, ferries, water taxis and flights. In Central America, most meals need to be paid for locally. In South America, most breakfasts are included and most other meals need to be paid for locally.


What to expect on a camping tour

We have made camping easy and fun, so don’t worry if you have never camped before! We provide all the necessary camping equipment including tents, foam sleeping mats in USA and Canada (10mm thick), cold food storage containers, camp lights, stoves and other camping accessories. The only thing you need to bring is a sleeping bag and pillow, plus a sleeping mat for South America tours. If you’re on a long trip or prefer some extra comfort, we’d recommend bringing a self-inflating mattress, such as a Therm-a-Rest. Our high quality tents are very easy to set up and take down on your own and your leader will show you how. We camp with two people in each spacious tent, leaving more than enough room for your luggage. Many campgrounds are situated in stunning settings. When we camp near major city destinations, most campgrounds will typically have full facilities such as showers (some campgrounds charge $1-$3 for hot showers), shops, laundromats and sometimes pools. Virtually all national park campgrounds have pay showers, flush toilets and basic facilities. Occasionally, our groups will stay in more remote areas where the surroundings will quickly make you forget any lack of facilities. Most camping based trips will spend some nights in budget hotels or hostels during the tour, usually in the cities. This is based on a multi share or twin share basis. On some occasions we will stay in cabins, ranches or a traditional Navajo hogan, as per the itinerary.


How does the food kitty work on camping tours?

On our camping tours, our groups share in the preparation and cooking of the food. The food kitty in USA and Canada is designed to save you money and is normally collected by your tour leader at the beginning of the trip in cash. On longer trips the food kitty may be collected in instalments. Supplies, excluding soft drinks and alcohol, are purchased from the food kitty, and each member of the group pays US$10 or CA$15 per day (US$15 per day in Hawaii and Alaska). This covers three meals on most days whilst camping, using fresh foods that we purchase as we travel to satisfy the international flavour of the group. The food kitty can be used for ice and firewood where applicable. Naturally, this does not cover food on hotel stop days when Trek groups can choose to sample regional cuisine at local restaurants. In South America, most meals whilst camping are included in the price of your tour.


Will there be Wi-Fi available?

When travelling within mainland USA (excluding Alaska and Hawaii) our vans are fully equipped with free Wi-Fi. Wi-Fi is subject to a set data quota, sufficient for normal usage. For this reason, if you reach your data limit your tour leader may need to turn off the Wi-Fi to ensure you do not run out of data in the latter stages of your trip.

We operate a fair usage policy to ensure everyone has equal access to Wi-Fi, which means that you are not permitted to stream films/music or to upload/download large documents. If you do so, this will deplete the entire group’s data allowance. It’s also important you disconnect from the Wi-Fi network when you’re not using it to avoid using up data unnecessarily. Only five people can be connected to the Wi-Fi at one time. Please note, in some remote areas you may not be able to pick up the Wi-Fi.

We are unable to provide Wi-Fi in your vehicle in Alaska, Hawaii, Canada, Central America or South America. Wi-Fi is widely available in built-up areas of the USA and Canada including campgrounds and hotels, and in many built-up areas in Central and South America including many hostels and hotels. Where possible, we suggest you make the most of this.



An essential part of your camping tour is helping with the daily camp duties. With guidance from your tour leader and our full range of camping equipment, the team spirit makes the chores easy and enjoyable. From setting up in the evening, to breaking camp in the morning and from unloading the vehicle to shopping for food and preparing group meals, you’ll be part of the team.


Combination Tours

Please note that some tours featured in this brochure may be part of a longer combination tour. For example, the Grand Trek is a combination of the Southern Sun and Northern Trail tours. On combination tours and other longer itineraries of more than 28 days (Pacific Dream, Desert & Rockies BLT, Canadian Express, Coast to Coast Express, Grand Trek, Grand BLT, Trailblazer, The Ultimate Transcontinental and Great 48), scheduling requirements may necessitate a change of tour leader at the mid-point of the tour and the passenger mix may change. Although we endeavour to maintain the same leader throughout your BOLT or Overland tour, they may change from time to time and the passenger group may change. Being able to combine some tours allows us to offer more departure dates and a greater selection of joining cities. Some combination tours that start and end in the same city may run in different directions at different times of the year.


What will my tour leader be like?

It’s our belief that the most important ingredient for the success of any tour is the tour leader and we are extremely proud of the high professional standards set by our tour leaders for over 40 years. Our training programme begins with recruiting the right people and developing their natural talents via substantial training in all areas, with special attention paid to group dynamics and leadership. In addition, our tour leaders receive various forms of instruction from our training and operations teams including first-aid, driving techniques, vehicle maintenance, menu planning and emergency procedures. Once leaders complete their initial training, they receive hands-on education in the field from managers and senior tour leaders who can relay years of experience and knowledge

Working hour regulations for our Tour Leaders

Please note that US law regulates the total number of hours your tour leader is available to work. Our trips are designed to make the most of your time in North America, but please understand that there will be certain times each day that your leader will need to be off duty from work and therefore their interaction will be limited. Due to these restrictions, particularly after the longer driving days, your leader may not be able to join you for some of the daily activities or may need to tend to other work duties. Please respect that they also need their own time to rest and recuperate in order to operate your trip safely and with heaps of energy.

Your leader will provide you with the best information required to enjoy each trip day safely and to its fullest. They will provide maps, suggested activities and restaurants, and may decide to join you and the group on their own time off.


Itinerary changes

We endeavour to run all tours as they are published in this brochure however, it’s sometimes necessary to alter itineraries to adapt to local conditions and park entrance regulations. We will notify you in case of any major alterations to your tour. In most cases, your tour leader will provide a more detailed trip outline at the beginning of your particular tour.


Park Permits

Our US division, AmeriCan Adventures Travel, doing business as TrekAmerica is an equal opportunities service provider operating under a variety of Commercial Use Authorizations and Special Use Permits from the United States National Park Service, United States National Forest Service, United States Bureau of Land Management, Park Service of Canada, the Hopi Indian Nation and the Navajo Indian Nation.



Our friendly sales team are always on hand to answer any questions.

Contact us here.

Our iTrek Community
Meet other people interested in your chosen trip, ask questions and get to know your group before you go!
Thinking about booking or raring to go, we've put together a list of our most frequently asked questions.
Read Our Blog
See our blog for a taste of life on the road with tour leader articles, hints and tips and recent videos.
Trekkers Reviews
Don't take our word for it! Read what past trekkers have to say about their TrekAmerica experience.
Loading search bar...