This week we’re going crazy for all things Canadian, because let’s face it, this beautiful country is worth going crazy for! With over 40 National Parks and National Park Reserves, stunning scenery around every corner and some of the friendliest people living there, there really is no need to think twice about heading to the adventure lover’s paradise.
With the name TrekAmerica, sometimes people forget that we have an awesome selection of tours that take in some of the incredible sights of Canada too, check out all our Canadian tours here.
However, if you want some help deciding on what to see or do in this vast and fascinating country, then look no further. Yes, you guessed it, another top 10!
10. Lake Superior – If you’re fan of lakes, then this is the one to visit. Lake Superior is considered the largest freshwater lake in the world in surface area, impressive ay? The surrounding area is equally impressive, with a coastline of beaches and river valleys and beautiful waterfalls, you won’t want to leave.
9. Toronto (CN Tower) – Toronto is the cultural and entertainment capital of Canada and is also home to the CN Tower. One of the Seven Wonders of the Modern World. It used to be the tallest free-standing structure on earth, so I’d say it’s definitely worth a look and I’m pretty sure you’ll find the view impressive too. If you’re feeling rather daring then why not brave the EdgeWalk and take a walk around the outside of the roof. Whatever you do, don’t look down!
8. Vancouver Island – Vancouver Island is one of the most diverse eco-systems on earth and is a must see when in western Canada. Ranging for almost 300 miles in length and 50 miles across, there is enough space for you not to bump into anyone and you will almost start to think you have landed on another planet. Make sure you keep your cameras at the ready as Vancouver Island is a hotspot for some fascinating wildlife.
7. Canadian Prairies – The Canadian Prairies covers three Canadian Provinces, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba. This sprawling area of land is often over looked, but the 800 kilometre drive through this sparsely populated area won’t disappoint. This seemingly endless landscape will make the mountains of the Rockies feel almost claustrophobic. Our Canadian Road Trip will take you on a scenic drive where one moment you are cruising in glorious sunshine, and the next you are watching a thunderstorm rolling by.
6. Quebec City – Quebec is steeped in history and culture and has the appearance of a European village rather than the capital of a province. The compact size of Quebec City makes it the perfect place to wander and take in all that it has to offer. You will find it hard not to stumble across the picturesque Chateau Frontenac, which towers above this beautiful city oozing in French heritage. If you’re there in the winter make sure you stick around for the Quebec Winter Carnival, said to be the world’s largest and most spectacular carnival. Our Canadian Pioneer tour allows you to spend a couple of days here, so make sure you brush up on your “bonjour’s” and your “s’il vous plaît’s”!
5. Calgary – Calgary has long been a popular city in Canada, winning numerous awards for being the best city to live and it has recently made it on to New York Times’ ’52 places to go in 2014’ list, so now you definitely have to go! Sitting picturesquely between the Canadian Prairies and the Canadian Rockies, what makes Calgary so famous is the annual Calgary Stampede in July. From music events, to traditional food tasting and Rodeo shows, the Calgary Stampede definitely lives up to its name of ‘The Greatest Outdoor Show on Earth’! We have special departures on our Canadian Parks West and Mountie tours, so if this takes your fancy make sure you time your trip right!
4. Wells Gray Provincial Park – Even though this is not officially a National Park, Wells Gray is up there with the best of them. This beautiful park has miles and miles of forest, mountains, and rivers, filled with wildlife. If waterfalls are your thing, then you won’t be disappointed, there are over forty falls within the park; if you forget your camera here, you will be kicking yourself for a long time! Our Canadian Parks West tour includes an overnight canoe trip through the park, which really allows you to become ‘at one’ with nature.
3. Niagara Falls – Beautiful images of Niagara Falls recently made headlines after they actually froze over, during North America’s ‘Big Freeze’. For anyone that doesn’t know, Niagara Falls is the name of the three waterfalls that separate New York State and the Canadian Province of Ontario with highest flow rate of any waterfall in the world! Can I get an “Oooohh”! One of the most popular things to do on our Eastern Canada tours is to ride on the ‘Maid of the Mist’ cruise before you travel to the Canadian side of the falls. The Maid of the Mist allows you to experience the full force of the falls, up close and personal, just be prepared to get a little wet.
2. Banff National Park– The oldest National Park in Canada and set in the very heart of the Canadian Rockies, this place will truly take your breath away. With an array of spectacular wildlife in every direction, you will need your camera ready at all times. Spend your time walking around some of the 1600 kilometres of trails and glacier fed lakes (you will have never seen lakes so blue!), then head up to Banff Upper Hot Springs to relax and rest your tired legs… perfection! All but one of our Canadian trips makes the stop at beautiful Banff.
1. Whistler – Ahh Whistler, the place where every other word spoken is ‘adventure’ or ‘extreme’. This snow covered town, just two hours north of Vancouver is the epicentre for all things adventure related. With some of the world’s best ski slopes, hiking trails and a pretty awesome mountain bike park thrown in for good measure – this place is awesome all year round. End two exhilarating weeks in Canada with a stop at Whistler on our poplar Mountie tour.
If, after seeing all these incredible destinations you are already starting to pack your bags and check for the next available flight to Canada, then please take a look at our awesome selection of Canada tours on our website.
VIEW ALL CANADA TOURS